- Heartsent’s program of domestic adoptions has been building since its inception in the late 1990s, but has became a large and thriving program in the past 15+ years. We have worked with expectant mothers who want to place their baby with one of our adopting families, and have also worked closely with a short list of adoption attorneys who we feel strongly about representing, due to their ethics, adoption experience, and commitment to a kind and personal process for our families.
- Expectant mothers let us know what they want! It is not that different from the adopting parents—a personal match with a family who understands and believes in the same life values and goals that she does. A family who will commit to caring for the baby in a loving and permanent way, and a family who will agree with her level of openness for the adoption, whatever that may be for her. Many times we also have both the expectant mother and father, and together they decide on the potential match with adoptive families.
- Once an attorney is chosen by our adopting singles/families, they assist with every aspect of the adoption once the home study has been done by a caring and knowledgeable Heartsent social worker. Creating the family’s profile to introduce themselves to prospective expectant mothers, answering the many questions an adoptive family will have, and being there throughout the pregnancy with a matched expectant mother as well as that all important time of the delivery- these are all important details the attorney attends to. Heartsent has worked with our attorney colleagues for the years it takes to develop a close and trusting relationship, and they have truly become our friends. Together, Heartsent and the attorney of the adoptive family’s choice work together to ensure that the family has a supportive and safe place while the pregnancy process goes on and the delivery draws closer. After delivery and the placement of the baby in the home, the adoptive family participates in several update reports that are conducted by their same social worker, towards the finalization of the adoption process usually 6 months later.
- There are no restrictions regarding age of the adoptive family.
- Heartsent welcomes both singles and couples to our domestic adoption program.
- The adoptive parents choose the expectant mother (and father) as well as the expectant mother choosing them. This assures a great match on both sides, and a smoother process for both.
- The total cost of a domestic adoption can vary due to the attorney chosen and expectant mother circumstances, but a workable estimated total would be $25,000 - $40,000.
- Adoptive parents typically pay for the expectant mother’s (allowable) monthly expenses from about 5-6 months of pregnancy through 4-6 weeks beyond delivery. The largest expenses are most often rent or living arrangement fees and food. The attorney manages the adoption expenses so that the adoptive parents do not discuss or get involved with money matters. Fees are paid directly to landlords and food stores whenever possible. Each expectant mother is either covered by private insurance or is assisted to be able to receive public funding, thus covering the pregnancy medical expenses.
Adoptive Parents from Canada and Ireland can also take advantage of the US Domestic Process by using Heartsent's Hague compliant Outgoing Adoption Program. This program mirrors the domestic adoption program as described on this page, with some additional elements for Hague requirements.